Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mt. Palaopao : the way of the cross



It’s been days before my birthday and I was looking for a hike that somehow makes a meaningful sense for me to thank God and meditate. I heard about Mt. Palaopao, the new pilgrimage destination during holy week and decided to go there to pray and hope to God.
              Mt. Palaopao is located in Sumilao, Bukidnon. It was used as a burial ground during the 19th century but is now serves as a pilgrimage destination especially during holy week in Catholic tradition.  It stands 668 meters above sea level and it has a wide mountain range that has caves and rockwalls. It is in this ranges where Sumalsag, Basag, Paiyak and several other caves are located.




I dropped by Sumilao bus terminal and headed to the back of Sumilao public market





 












 







At the back of the market there are rice fields and trail leading towards the mountain





  









                                                                The alluring mountain awaits me






The two peaks at the left side is my destination

                                        




 Halfway through the rice fields and zooming my camera at high level, I can see the big white cross at the peak.It made me more excited.



At the end of the rice fields I was amazed to see that there is a deep canyon with the river below.



                 Using my camera I can see the hanging bridge from the top of the canyon



           The trail on the canyon has very steep sections where it gets slippery during rainy season.









                                                     











                   the hanging bridge
.







   




















  
                              
  
                                           At the end of the bridge is Sitio Palaopao.


     After the bridge I have come across two trails, one that leads to left and to the right. There is a house nearby but there’s nobody home. There’s no one to ask. Relying on my instincts, I decided to go right.  I was always looking up at the peak and I noticed that I was going farther away from it. It was then I have a great feeling that I am lost. It was the wrong way.


I was walking on tall cogon grasses that covered the trail that I took. It was far enough when I saw an old woman to ask about the directions and told me that the trail is on the opposite side. So I went back and took the trail going to the left from thebridge.



The settlers in Sitio Palaopao have their own chapel, basketball court and gardens. They then directed me to the trail.




And then I arrived at the chapel and took the trail at the back heading towards the mountain. I was looking for a bamboo cross to which they say that will lead me to the right trail.





                                                   I saw the first cross at the back of the chapel

      As I was going further, I was leading into more different trails. I couldn’t find any cross and the sad thing about it is that there is no one to ask. Again, I have to rely into my instincts. I took a trail and it led me to farms and houses.  And I got lost again. Going into farms after farms, which latter did I know that it was private property and I was trespassing.And then I met manong Eduardo Gorra and ask for directions. He then pointed me the way. As I was going to the direction he was pointing, he decided to go with me instead saying that he wants to go to the peak with me. He said that he could see people going in there on the trail but he has never been there. Manong Eduardo then came to be my guide and photographer. A good and kind hearted man.
                    The trail going up is very steep. It is very ‘technical’. The feeling of determination and excitement made me feel very invincible against the cruel heat and exhaustion for the trail going up has no means of shade.  Not good for first timers and weak at heart.  But for an average climber, it is very challenging.

It took us 45 minutes in reaching the cross at the first peak.






         The moment we reached the cross I was speechless. I was in awe. I was imagining the effort of the people in building that cross in the peak with all the heat and exhaustion that we’ve been through. I then knelt and prayed while manong Eduardo is just watching me. I talked to God and hoped.


With manong Eduardo Gorra


Watching the lowland from the peak is just amazing. We could almost see the whole lowland of Sumilao Bukidnon. I could see Mount Kitanglad on one side but it was covered with clouds.

After eating my lunch we then headed to the highest peak.

We passed by bushes which gives the only shelter there in the peak. And there were cliffs on either side.
 
We have to walk through sharp coral-like rocks in trail to the next peak


                    




I was amazed to see that there is an old rugged cross at the next peak. It is made of tugas, a hard wood. Its rugged stature gives me an unexplainable feeling and made me teary eyed.
I knelt and sat at the cross for a while to rest. The moment lifted my weary spirit.



The first cross as viewed from the second peak.

After watching, talking about the lowlands and taking pictures at the peak, we then descended trying to get rid of getting caught of in a rain. Weather in this area is very unpredictable .Halfway through the trail, manong Eduardo part ways as he goes back to his hut and continues his chores there. I then continued the trail down to the base and saw the right trail that I doubted before.


Being on the right trail, I then got the chance to see the beautiful sides of the mountain. Like this rockwall



                             And several bamboo cross that I tried to find during my ascent






Before going up from the canyon, I took a moment to just stay and watch over at the bridge.
 I was fond of the hanging bridge.
It took the daredevil character in me. I was thinking, what if I could jump into the water in the river below. It would have been a great feeling to satisfy the pumping adrenalin in me. Nah, the river is shallow.
  

It took me 45 minutes to reach into the plains above the canyon and into the rice fields.

 I then took a final glance at the mountain that I have just been and I felt happy about my experience.
It is still 4:00 in the afternoon and I find ways to make the most of my time in Sumilao. So I decided to go to Alalum falls, just a kilometer away from the terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment